It is a myth that being competent, smart and skilled are the qualifications to being a successful lawyer. But in the journal published about 10 best people in any field of specialization and compare it to the list of highest paid profession there is a marginal correlation that holds the worth of lawyers. This denotes the idea that being a lawyer isn’t just enough – especially in times of economic recession. In fact, being a successful lawyer go beyond being good, one must abhor critical thinking skills and relegate oneself from being complacent.
That there’s no other way but to step away from the hierarchy of being complacent through mastering skills that lies in understanding people. Consequently, being efficient in this field, one must learn from people by understanding them. Acknowledging their woes could corroborate to effective understanding. So, forget about the theoretical framework found in books. Solutions are best understood when you have experienced it. As evaluation here are the three important skills that set the difference among lawyers.
- Legal Marketing – Firms with 40-person in marketing team even miss in planning their campaign. The flaw lies in the assumption that people need their services to know their problem instead of providing them with the solutions. The focus should be on your clients, remember that clients are paying for solutions that you could provide to them. “I ‘m being sued” or “someone is infringing my patent” Contemplating that you have the solutions for their problem is the most efficient way to market your services.
- Business Development – If you are startup firm, it is important that you consider your business development. Lawyers in startup firms describe this as “we eat what we kill”. That if we don’t bring in clients to business, how are we going to pay each other? How are going to sustain the business operations?
- Law Firm Leadership – Young lawyers should understand that they are the next generation of Law firm Leaders. Being an active contractor of knowledge in the very beginning expresses ownership of the future. Cultivating and practicing firm leadership is an important decision in order for people to accept the transition naturally. Be someone who initiates and people will recognize you- and follow you.
Being a lawyer is a tough job, it will never be easy for anyone to get that licence and stand in courts with authority. Thus, every hopes and desires aren’t that difficult to reach when you strike hard and never ceases to stop.
With that, here are the things you must know about becoming a lawyer:
- Lawyers spent years in school. Its curriculum expands for another three years in (LAW SCHOOL), after a four year bachelor degree in Philosophy, economics, political sciences or any related preparatory degree courses for LAW. Once finally done with law school you must pass a difficult exam for lawyers called BAR exam. Since the exam if way too difficult you must spend time on trainings and reviews for you to nail it. Great dedication is a must if you want to succeed in this field.
- Type of Lawyer – Lawyers are classified according to their field of specialization. The most common type of lawyers are the criminal defence attorneys which were known due to CSI and other primetime series. Other type of lawyers are family lawyers, they are involved in family code and primarily on divorce cases. We also have real estate lawyers who help patent investors through mortgage and finance loans.
- Advantages and Drawbacks- Lawyers are paid very well. According to US Bureau of Labor Statistics, lawyers received an average of around $125,000 in 2008. And because of their high educational attainment, lawyers are well respected. As a lawyer it can’t be avoided to work long hours. And the dreadful part would be losing a case that you really worked hard on, and freeing guilty people and the innocent one to jail.
- Why become a Lawyer – Lawyers are one of the most useful people in the world. They do a lot of good deeds like helping parents adopt children so that they can have a better life. This is life changing and it makes us feel good about ourselves. Usually, in times of trouble, we call lawyers to help us and better understand our situations. If you have plans of becoming a lawyer, think of the advantages and disadvantages and seek for advice from someone who are in the field. Not everyone can become a lawyer, but for those who hear the mission it can be a rewarding profession..
Read more interesting articles here:
If you are looking for a great lawyer to defend you in court. Then, you should know these good qualities that a lawyer must have.
Top lawyers are always:
- Creative – a top lawyer always think outside the box, he is able to think creatively when unique circumstances arises.
- Analytical Skills – a great lawyer posses excellent analytical skills to make valuable reasons in large volume of information.
- Interpersonal Skills – paralegals should have excellent interpersonal skills in building trust and harmonious relationship.
- Research Skills – Legal battles always requires extensive amount of preparations. This would entails comprehension of pertinent information and excellent research skills in keeping track of records.
- Perseverance – People who work in legal office should know this word. As we always know that working in a law firm requires many hours of manual works spent in research and analysis. They are obliged to take time in lots of writing to get the job done.
- Logical Thinking Ability – this is the capacity to form logical thoughts out of judgements and assumptions based on gathered data and information presented.
- Pursues Continuing Education – A great lawyer keep himself abreast of competencies required. This means continues development of the acquired knowledge through education. In USA, 48 states have obliged lawyers to continue with their educational units.
- Public Speaking – one of the skills every lawyer should have, public speaking involves the ability to express ideas in courtrooms. And speaking in front of many people in a formal manner.
- Writing Skills – this is essential in compelling legal documents, arguments, briefs and motions.
- Comprehension Skills – Paralegals should have above average comprehension skills and strong understanding in any forms of written words. This is essential to understand the complexity of the subject matter. Also, legal manuscripts are tedious in meaning, so wide understanding in a must.
There are many good lawyers who can help you in various ways. There are lawyers who wear suits and ties in the office and lawyers who don’t. Do you like a lawyer who is spontaneous? or you prefer those serious types. What can you say about those who are blunt? Do you find those with sense of humor extravagant? Or you still prefer the typical one whom we usually seen in cinemas? Indeed, lawyers are just like us, there are those who sucks balls out of personal outflows and others don’t since they define their own temperaments.
To these acquisitions and personal indifference here are some of the best strategies you can employ so that you can work with your lawyer effectively.
- Be sure that you like your lawyer’s style in working. This is important since you’ll be working together till the case get closed.
- Be sure that you have the same goals with your lawyer, this way you can keep your expectations real.
- Be sure that you shared all the information necessary regarding your case. This is help him properly understand your case.
- Be sure that you realized the approximate time the case will take, take a clear picture of the developments, reach out to your lawyeras much as possible for updates.
- Be updated to the development that take place on your case, it doesn’t matter if it is harmful or not, every update is significantly important. This can help in the development of the case
- Be sure to contact your lawyer promptly for updates and questions regarding legal matters. Be attentive with the response and if necessary do actions upon them. It will help your lawyer in the preparations that could somehow yield to positive and better results.
Laws are ideas from people. ALL laws passed in United States begin as ideas. These ideas may come from a common people like you. If you have good ideas, discuss it with a lawmaker or representative. These will be presented in the house of representative before it will be approved for the U.S Senate, and the President. Let’s examine how a bill becomes a law in United States.
- It all began as an Idea. As what I’ve said, it all starts as an IDEA. These ideas are being analyze before it will be written as bills.
- The bill should be introduced – A bill is introduced when placed in the hopper- a box found in the side of the clerk’s desk. Only members from the house of Representatives can introduce a bill. When bill has been introduced, it will be passed through the H.R. This will be read by a clerk to all the Representative, and the Speaker of the House will assign one of the house standing committee to re examine the bill.
- The bill goes to committee – the committee members – group of representative experts on topic such as education, agriculture and international relations- will research, review and revise the bill before voting, if the bill needs more information then it should be sent back to the house floor, and now to a subcommittee. In the sub committee, the bill will gain expert opinions which will be employed before it will be sent back to the committee for approval.
- The Bill is Reported – When the bill was approved it will be reported to the house floor. Once done, a debate will be heard by the U.S House of Representative.
- The Bill is Voted On – There are three ways for voting on a bill in the U.S house of Representative.
- Division – The speaker of the House will ask those representative who support the bill and be counted, and those who oppose to stand up and be counted.
- Viva Voice (voice vote)- Representatives who support the bill will be asked to say “aye” and “NO” for those who disagree.
- Majority rules when most of the representative say YES or select YES.
- Senators vote by voice. If majority of the Senators say “yea,” the bill pass through the U.S. Senate and now ready for President’s approval.
- The Bill is approve by the President. When a bill reaches the office of the President. He has three choices;
- Sign and pass the bill—the bill becomes a law.
- Refuse to sign, or veto the bill—the bill is sent back to the U.S. House of Representatives, along with the President’s reasons for the veto. If the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate still believe the bill should become a law, they can hold another vote on the bill. If two-thirds of the Representatives and Senators support the bill, the President’s veto is overridden and the bill becomes a law.
- Do nothing (pocket veto)—if Congress is in session, the bill automatically becomes law after 10 days. If Congress is not in session, the bill does not become a law.
- If a bill has been approved in both U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate and has been signed by the President, or if a presidential veto has been overridden, the bill becomes a law and is enforced by the Government.