Now a days, our society highly publicized criminal behavior and criminal trials in social Medias and televisions. And even in TV series, shows and movies crime has always been part of the storyline. As a result, people are informed of the different types of crimes, and sometimes considered themselves as knowledgeable. However, in broader sense law can be complicated, and can’t be understood as what it seems.
There are different types of crimes, crimes by definition are prohibited behavior that are considered harmful by the states rules to society. If anyone acts such behavior, and deem guilty after legit trial in court. He will be punished either to stay long years in jail or death penalty.
The following are the different types of crimes, divided into four categories: personal crimes, inchoate crimes, property crimes and statutory crimes.
- Personal Crimes – These are “offenses against the person”, such crimes result to physical or mental hard to another person. These are:
- False imprisonment
- Homicide – these are first and second degree, involuntary manslaughter, murder, and vehicular homicide.
- Rape – offenses in sexual nature / sexual assault
- Property Crimes- these are “offenses against property”. This involve interference with other personal right to use or enjoy their property. These are:
- Larceny ( theft)
- Robbery (theft by force) but also considered as personal since this can also result to both physical and mental harm.
- Burglary ( penalties for bulgur)
- False pretenses
- Receipt of stolen goods
- Inchoate Crimes – these are crimes that had begun but not completed. These crimes requires substantial steps for completion, as opposite to intend crimes. Inchoate are:
- Attempt – these are all attempted crimes such as (attempted robbery, attempted rape and etc…
- Statutory crimes- these are violations specifically in federal statute that involves either personal offenses or property offenses. Statutory crimes are:
- Selling alcohol to minor
- Alcohol related crimes such drunk driving
The abovementioned crimes are prohibited in every states, in some states this may differ since in each state laws are written differently. There are consideration on how behaviors are regulated and how penalties should be imposed. For example, prostitution is legal in most parts of Nevada, but a crime in other states. Likewise, firearms are legal only in certain states.
Levels and seriousness of different crimes
Crimes are classified according to level of seriousness, such as the distinction between misdemeanor and felony. Differences are:
- Serious crimes involves kidnapping, robbery and murder
- Carries a year or more in state prison
- Less serious crimes involves shoplifting or DUI
- Jail sentence or less than a year. Depends the weight of case.
State laws are sub-categorize to further give emphasis to each categories. For example: Offense against the person are sub-categorize into violent and nonviolent crimes. In some states sexual crimes are being sub categorize for purpose of sentencing.
Crimes are also classified according to criminal intent. These are classified as General intent crimes and specific intent crimes. These concept should be realized, though difficult to master but important specially if charged with a crime.
Should I Seek Legal Advice? It is advisable to seek for a lawyer if you are facing any criminal offense. They can help you provide with the best solution possible.